Friday, November 10, 2017

Veterans, Parades, Children, Mules and Horses in Ft. Riley/Manhattan Kansas...redux

Thank you to the veterans I know and those I don't know. This first video is last year's parade: pics and more vids from today follow.

click on video twice to see large. horses at  the end.

Please Click on pics to view enlarged. click again for very large view.


 U.S.Army in front of Manhattan High School
Cavalry Horses



Beauty Dog changes the Earth's rotation



children in Veteran's Day parade



Veterans Coffee Group
I spoke to two young General Issue Soldiers who told me that "the younger" soldiers don't really know what this day means; one told me he had known war and lost friends and family in war and this day meant a lot to him. He was about 24. He was sad that the Parade Crowd did not linger so he and his friend could "mingle."






KSU Marching Band
At City Hall
 Work is Done
U.S.Army Mules
Click on pic to enlarge Beauty.





Beauty Mounted Cavalry Horses by mary todd

These mules know they are getting their bits out? Clickk twice on video to view larger.


Here is what, as an army brat, we sang: (our version was slightly different)

(Army Marching Cadence)They say that in the Army the coffee's mighty fine
It looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine
Chorus:Oh Lord, I wanna go But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH!
They say that in the Army the chow is mighty fine
a chicken jumped off the table and started marking time
Chorus: Oh Lord, I wanna go But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH!
They say that in the Army the biscuits are mighty fine
one rolled off the table and killed a friend of mine
They say that in the Army the training's might fine
last night there were ten of us, now there's only nine
Oh Lord, I wanna go But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH!
They say that in the Army the pay is mighty fine
they give you a hundred dollars and take back ninety-nine
Oh Lord, I wanna go But they won't let me go
Oh Lord, I wanna go hoo-hoo-hoooome EH

I ponder our men and women, marching in step, but without the fierce fear of the North Korean or Chinese army's march or the Russian's. Our men and women seem big and strong and happy. According to my mother and grandmother, we were proud to send our men-- without being overly dramatic or using any hyperbole--to save the world in WWII. I wonder about the hell of war and how it tears some men apart.
For others, they find wisdom and courage and kindness. I wonder how it will affect women.
Here is my father in Viet Nam. God Help Us.          Trials of War


--


heroes here

No comments:

Post a Comment