Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bob Dylan -- North Country Blues

wimp.com:

young bob dylan silences the crowd

50 years ago, Bob Dylan silenced the crowd with his performance of "North Country Blues".



Come gather 'round friends And I'll tell you a tale Of when the red iron pits ran plenty But the cardboard filled windows And old men on the benches Tell you now that the whole town is empty. In the north end of town My own children are grown But I was raised on the other In the wee hours of youth May mother took sick And I was brought up by my brother.

 The iron ore it poured As the years passed the door The drag lines an' the shovels they was a-hummin' 'Til one day my brother Failed to come home The same as my father before him. Well a long winter's wait From the window I watched My friends they couldn't have been kinder

And my schooling was cut As I quit in the spring To marry John Thomas, a miner.
 Oh the years passed again And the givin' was good With the lunch bucket filled every season What with three babies born The work was cut down To a half a day's shift with no reason.
Then the shaft was soon shut And more work was cut And the fire in the air, it felt frozen
 'Til a man come to speak And he said in one week That number eleven was closin'.
 They say in the East They're payin' too high They say that your ore ain't worth diggin' That it's much cheaper down In the South American towns Where the miners work almost for nothin'.

 So the mining gates locked And the red iron rotted And the room smelled heavy from drinkin' Where the sad silent song Made the hour twice as long As I waited for the sun to go sinking. I lived by the window As he talked to himself The silence of tongues it was building Then one morning's wake The bed it was bare And I's left alone with three children. The summer is gone The ground's turning cold The stores one by one they're a-foldin' My children will go As soon they grow For there ain't nothin' here now to hold them.

No comments:

Post a Comment