Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lou Gehrig's Disease Part 1

Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth
Have you heard of Lou Gehrig?
(along with Babe Ruth,
he was "part of the greatest one-two punch in baseball batting history...")
Now, of course,
his name is famous for
the disease which ended his life.

Lou Gehrig's Disease
 teach your kid version HERE
Now, mostly called
 ALS or,
      
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

A name i learned to say with despair in my heart.

I wanted to quit my grad school course of study
and research copper molecules and electrical connections and the nerves that are confused--
I felt the race with time.
Surely we can cure this disease quickly- hurry.
I saw the same face and urgency with every family member on Charlie Rose or the Today Show or Oprah- surely, we can cure this before it's too late...
See, she has a year left- Look-he's still alive. Something- give me anything.
Surely we have the mathemeticians, the cellular scientists, the technology- we have a year! Hurry.
Every year it is too late for about 5,000 people.

(Why does it seem like it is the Cream of the Crop? What is it about ALS?)

The Research: Here

The Walk in Kansas City: HERE  new PICS-updated 10-10-2010 HERE

My Personal Page:  http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/KeithWorthingtonWalk?px=2794812&pg=personal&fr_id=6435


I will tell you more in part 2 HERE.
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment